Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Buckeye Goes to Enemy Territory

Mexican Bar and Grill
9740 Cherry Valley Ave SE
Caledonia, Michigan 49316
September 6, 2009
8ish pm

Yep, I'm a part of a blended family. That is, part of us support and are alumni of OSU and the other (blech) support and are alumni of Michican. This also means that we have a family cottage on a very small lake in western Michigan to which we make frequent visits in the summer. So this venture into enemy territory is nothing new to me (and I hate to have to admit it, but I really rather enjoy it).

Since we make the trip so frequently I also attempt to find new places to try out there, but it is quite a bit harder there than it is in Columbus due to us being located very close to the middle of nowhere. However, on my last drive through Hastings I became interested in a cute little microbrewery named Walldorff Brew Pub and Bistro. I inquired about this place to our neighbors and everyone had good things to say. So Sunday evening during Labor Day weekend my husband and I decided we'd give it a try. Now those of you who are perceptive will have noticed that Walldorff's is not the restaurant tag line for this post and that is where the story comes from.

Sunday was a beautiful day and looked like it would be a perfect evening on the lake. For a little while we did debate about whether or not to just stay at the cottage and enjoy the weather, but the thought of a burger and trying a new beer lured us out. Around 5 I stopped throwing the stick for our dog Gracie, and started to get ready for dinner.


(I couldn't resist an opportunity to add a pic of my Gracie. She's jumping off the dock in a quest for her stick in this one!)
We got in the car and as the evening sun was beginning to set we drove through quintessential Midwestern farmland. We passed dairy cows, old barns, cornfields, and the occasional bonfire around rusted out cars by the trailer park (no joke, wish I had a picture of that one)! Ahhh....sweet Michigan. How similar you really are to OH-IO.
As we approached town I noted how peaceful the town seemed. So sleepy, so quiet. But then I realized this also meant my restaurant also seemed sleepy and quiet. No, no, no, no, no! Apparently we've lived with city conveniences for too long. It had completely slipped our minds that a part of small town life is still closing on Sundays. Personally, I really can't imagine this anymore, but I know it is how people lived for centuries. But seriously, what do these people do when they want a relaxing Sunday evening with no cooking? Obviously, they don't come into Hastings :) We sullenly pulled into the empty parking lot and discussed what to do about dinner.

It was getting too late for me to want to cook, but it seemed like the only option around was fast food. Then I happened to remember a funny Mexican place we had passed numerous times on our way to the grocery store. It had previously been a down home, log cabin inspired restaurant named Big-O-Fish. (Yes. Really, Big-O-Fish.) However, the fish fry didn't make it and a Mexican place had taken over...and from the looks of the outside they hadn't gotten around to changing the hunting/fishing decor yet. I was intrigued. Sometimes these places end up being great, almost as if they have such a need to get their awesome food out there they have no time to worry about silly things like decor. But we also knew it was just as likely to be a big fail. However, we (and our growling stomachs) decided we were up for the gamble. I'm not generally one to turn down the chance for Mexican and a margarita. However, I must admit it didn't have its usual draw due to me spending most of my day dreaming about a burger and beer, but I was willing to make the sacrifice.

We drove up to the previous Big-O-Fish (I just love typing that name) and were in luck; it was open! I was exactly right about them not changing the cabin decor. Big wood bar stools greeted us through the door and a back room still had murals of mountains, streams, and furry animals. However, the mural in the main dining room had been changed to a more typical Mexican scene. I'm sure changing the hunting scene is right up there on their to do list :)





We laugh about the decor as we take out seats. We see the drink special of the day is a Sangarita (a combination of sangria and a margarita) for $2 and figure we'll give it a shot. Unfortunately we figured dead wrong. The wine they used was obviously cheap and of very poor quality. I guess this is a case of you get what you pay for, but I wouldn't even bother putting this on the menu if this is the quality I had to use. Its metallic/minerally taste overshadowed everything and I couldn't appreciate the sour of the margarita in contrast to the sweetness of sangria that made trying a sangarita appealing. My husband decided to take one for the team and he finished both drinks while I ordered a regular margarita on the rocks. This was much better and exactly as expected. It was obviously from a mix rather than from a lime juice base, but at this type of restaurant that's what I would expect. It served its purpose and quenched my desire for a margarita, and rid the taste of the sangarita from my mouth!

Our server was very friendly and brought us chips and salsa immediately. The chips were good and the salsa was tolerable, but bland for my taste. The tomatoes were from a can, but they could have worked had they had some fresh ingredients added in such as cilantro to kick up the flavor. But without fresh herbs it ended up tasting similar to a prepared salsa you'd get at the store.

Our server promptly took our order and our food was served quickly. My husband ordered chiraquiries (sp??) Mexicano (pretty please ignore spelling, we forgot to write down entree names before the menus were taken) which were corn tortilla chips smothered in chicken, tomatillo salsa, and queso blanco. They were served with rice, lettuce, guacamole, and sour cream on the side. This was actually very good and definitely the highlight of our visit. The tomatillo salsa had a wonderful flavor and an additional kick of spice that was unexpected. The tortilla chips when mixed with the other ingredients had a stronger flavor than I had noted when eating them with salsa and actually reminded me a little of Fritos flavoring, but in a good way (as weird and unbelievable as that sounds). Here is a shot of this dish.


I ordered 2 chicken enchiladas and a beef tamale. The tamale was excellent. It had a very thick corn mix outside and a ground beef filling with lots of flavor. Everything was covered in a red sauce that I just wasn't a fan of. It was too bitter. Probably there was too much cinnamon added for my taste, but on a positive note the heat of the sauce was just right. The filling in the enchiladas was good with shredded chicken, green peppers, and black pepper flavors shining through. However, the tortillas were a little too soggy. Here is a pic of my dish (with that lovely Sangarita).


I ordered my food a la carte, so that's why there isn't rice, beans, guacamole, etc.

Overall, this restaurant had some spots of brightness with their service, tamales, and chiraquries (sp???). However, there is lots more that could be improved. The decor would definitely be forgivable and maybe even kitschy if the food was fantastic. But with off decor and more misses that hits with the food I wouldn't suggest stopping here if you're driving through western Michigan. Instead, just make sure you pass through Monday through Saturday and try out Walldorff's for me. I know that will be my next plan! Or you can continue into Grand Rapids and try Rose's on Reeds Lake, my personal western Michigan favorite.

Bill total: 2 sangaritas, 1 margarita, 1 tamale, 2 chicken enchiladas, and 1 chiraqueries Mexicano entree, plus tip= $35

Overall Rating: 2 buckeyes

No comments: