Monday, July 11, 2011

The Best Pizza is in Mexico? Say What?

Cafe Roma
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
July 23, 2010
3ish pm

Words will not be able to express the love I have for this place.  If I could fly into Mexico just to hang out here, I would.  These types of unexpected surprises is what traveling is all about.  Now, I had read about this place on my trusty tripadvisor sight, but I have to say my expectations weren't too high.  At the time of our trip this place was ranked as the number one restaurant in Puerto Vallarta.  However, I had my doubts that it would live up to those expectations.  I'll admit I snobbishly thought a bunch of Americans who didn't know what good food in Mexico was like ranked this place so high because it catered to the American way of life.  "I," I reasoned, "am more refined than that, and surely a pizza place that also doubles as a year round spring break hot spot will not be my favorite place in Puerto Vallarta."

Well, I can readily admit to having some snobby foodie thoughts now and again, but I will also easily admit when I'm wrong. Dead wrong.

Erik and I had been out exploring Puerto Vallarta and were getting really hungry.  It was about 3 pm and we had yet to eat anything for lunch.  We saw that we were close enough to Cafe Roma and decided to walk over.  Since it was late afternoon the place was dead, but we were happy to see it was open.  We climbed the steps to the second floor restaurant and laughed at seeing this: 


Unfortunately, the camera couldn't catch all the fun phrases but they say things like, "Seriously folks, we're not serious." And, "If you like our food tell others, if you don't like our food go parasailing."  Then at the top of the stairs you are greeted by this:

From the 50's and 60's classic rock and roll that was playing in the background and nods here and there to the United States, you can quickly infer this is where the ex-pats hang out, and rightly they should.  We were warmly welcomed and the owner seemed genuinely happy to talk with us.  As we looked over the menu he asked where we were from and when replying Ohio he immediately then asked, "Browns or Bengals?"  But before we could even think to answer he replied, "Cowboys, of course!"  Quite the character. 

He then let us know that since it was our first time there we could have Pacifico (the local beer) for five pesos each.  Erik thought he had gone to restaurant heaven.  We ordered pizza with ham and pineapple and as our order was put in the owner came back to discuss what languages we spoke.  I tried to pass off some rusty French, but I was quickly shown up.  He then encouraged Erik to practice his Spanish with him as we waited for our pizza.

When our pizza arrived we were impressed by how good it looked, but even more by how good it tasted.  The pineapple was fresh and just slightly warmed to bring out its flavor.  The crust was thin and done in true Italian style, slightly blackened while cooked at very high temperatures.  It reminded me so much of the pizza I had had in Italy I asked if the cook was originally from Italy or had studied in Italy (he was not and did not).


As we finished our pizza the owner pointed out we had a visitor sitting across from us.  This big orange guy is their neighbor.   

The location of this place is just great.  The Rio Cuale is across the street and the Sierra Madre mountains are in the background.  I just loved it here.  Then, for the icing on the cake, as we were getting ready to pay our bill the owner brought us shots of tequila.  He said that was the only way to go in Mexico, especially when it's your first time visiting. 

As we left we decided to get a fun picture with the mural on the wall and the owner insisted on moving the lights so our picture would be just right.  Here it is: 

Apparently that iguana neighbor can get pretty angry! 

We left Cafe Roma with a full and satisfied stomach, maybe a little too much to drink, and a happy heart.  What more can you ask for on vacation?


Bill Total:  Not sure, but definitely on the inexpensive side.

Overall Rating:  5 buckeyes

And just for fun, here's a picture from a Mexican candy store and the sunset that evening. 

No comments: